Archive for the ‘Gefangene’ Category

USA: Noch 136 Gefangene in Guantanomo

Donnerstag, Dezember 11th, 2014

“Six men released from Guantánamo: 136 Remain

 

 

We are excited to announce that there were six men released to Uruguay last weekend. After 9 months of negotiations, President José Mujica and the Obama administration agreed on that Abu Wa’el Dhiab (Syria), Ahmed Adnan Ahjam (Syria), Ali Hussein al-Shaaban (Syria), Abdelhadi Faraj (Syria), Mohammed Taha Mattan (Palestine), Abdul Bin Mohammed Abis Ourgy (Tunisia) will resettle there as refugees. We will continue to keep them in our prayers and thoughts as they transition out of cells of Guantanamo into the fresh air of freedom. For more information on the release, click here.

These releases bring us one step closer to shuddering the prison. However, 136 people remain. 68 have been cleared for release. 58 are “forever” detainees. 10 detainees are in the Military Commission system.”

 

(Quelle: Witness Against Torture)

USA / Cuba: Kinder, wie die Zeit vergeht oder: Versprochen – gebrochen!

Mittwoch, Mai 21st, 2014


Activists Rally to Close Guantanamo and End Indefinite Detention as Part of Global Day of Action — Protests in 40+ Cities Worldwide

Protests come exactly one year after President Obama recommitted
to close down the detention facility

 

 

Washington, D.C. — On Friday, May 23, one year after President Obama once again promised to close the detention facility at Guantanamo in a speech at the National Defense University, Witness Against Torture, Code Pink, The Center for Constitutional Rights, World Can’t Wait, and more than 30 other groups are banding together to say “Not Another Broken Promise!” They are calling on President Obama make good on his commitment to close the prison this year.

The President’s pledge last May came amidst a mass hunger strike at the prison by men protesting their indefinite detention. Since then only a handful of men have been released from Guantanamo, where hungers strikes and brutal forced-feedings continue.

Medea Benjamin, co-founder of Code Pink, says: “When I interrupted Obama’s 2013 speech to say that he had the power to free those Guantanamo prisoners already cleared for release, the President said my voice was worth listening to. With most of the prisoners still trapped in the hell of Guantanamo, I wish the President would listen to his own words and close the prison.”

“There is no excuse for keeping Guantanamo open,” says Jerica Arents from Chicago. “The President has the power to shutter the prison and needs to do it, or his promise is meaningless.”

Demonstrations will be held in Washington, D.C. (at the White House, 11 am); in New York City (Times Square, noon); in Chicago (Water Tower Park, 4:30 pm); San Francisco (Powell/Market 4:30 PST); and in 40 other cities in 8 countries, including England, Australia, and Germany. A Full list, with time and place info, is at: http://witnesstorture.tumblr.com/post/82873599205/may-23-2014-global-call-to-action-to-close-guantanamo

“In big cities and small towns, the outpouring of support for the Global Day of Action has been amazing,” says Witness Against Torture organizer Chris Knestrick. “Guantanamo continues to shock the conscience. The people of the world want it closed.”

At the protests, activists will wear black hoods and orange jumpsuits, update the situation at Guantanamo, and perform theatre to dramatize the ongoing abuses at Guantanamo.

WHAT: Global Day of Action to Close Guantanamo and End Indefinite Detention
WHERE: Washington, NYC, Chicago, Raleigh, London, Sydney, Toronto and other cities.
WHEN: Friday, May 23, 2014 (see tumblr link above for details)
WHO: Human Rights and Anti-Torture activists

 

(Quelle: Witnesstorture.)

EU / Griechenland: Wiege der Zivilisation…

Montag, März 24th, 2014

“Refugees describe dire conditions in migrant detention centres
GlobalPost documentary shows footage recorded inside Corinth camp

By EnetEnglish.gr, 13:46 Friday 21 February 2014

 

Granted political asylum in December, Farhad, detained for 14 months at the detention centre in Corinth, said detainees were packed scores to a room and often beaten by police. In protest at the appalling conditions, he and others sowed their mouths together and went on hunger strike

Police officers patrol a migrant detention centre at Amygdaleza, outside Athens, 30 April 2012

Police officers patrol a migrant detention centre at Amygdaleza, outside Athens, 30 April 2012 (Photo: Reuters)

Former detainees have spoken out about the appalling conditions inside the government’s migrant detention centres, in a short documentary that offers a rare glimpse into what the government calls migrant pre-removal facilities.

In the video, produced for GlobalPost, a Afghan man named Farhad, detained for 14 months at the detention centre in Corinth, said detainees were packed scores to a room and often beaten by police. In protest at the appalling conditions, he and others sowed their mouths together and went on hunger strike.

“We didn't have any choice so we started a hunger strike, we sewed up our mouth and we stopped eating and drinking. Anyone will do whatever it takes to get his freedom. Some people have tried to commit suicide to get free, others went crazy in there,” he told Anna Giralt Gris, who made the documentary.

“In general you are afraid there, terrified,” he told the GlobalPost. “When the police would attack us in there they didn’t care who is who, anyone in front of them could become a victim. We were frightened and everyone was hiding under the beds.”

Farhad, who was just 17 when he made it to Greece, was granted political asylum in December.

Another Afghan asylum seeker, Abbas, said he didn’t see daylight for six months at a detention centre at Aspropyrgos, outside Athens. 

Some 6,500 migrants are currently held in migrant detention centres in Greece, which are co-funded by the European Union as part of an effort to limit immigration.

The European Court of Human Rights, the EU’s Committee for the Prevention of Torture and NGOs have repeatedly called conditions in these centres inhuman and degrading.

GlobalPost, EnetEnglish “

 

(Quelle: EnetEnglish.)

Israel: Folterstaat

Dienstag, Februar 26th, 2013

“Israel foltert jungen Familienvater zu Tode

Arafat Jaradat ist tot. Der israelische Inlandsgeheimdienst Shin Beit folterte den 30jährigen Familienvater im Gefängnis Migiddo im Norden Israels solange, bis er am Samstag an den Folgen starb. Botschafter Salah Abdel Shafi fordert eine internationale Untersuchungskommission, um die Schuldigen zur Verantwortung zu ziehen.

Arafat Jaradat

“Systematische Misshandlungen und Folter stehen in Israel auf der Tagesordnung. Versuche seitens der israelischen Regierung, diese zu vertuschen, ebenfalls. Doch nach dem grausamen Foltertod von Arafat Jaradat kann Israel sein doppelzüngiges Spiel nicht mehr fortsetzen. Auf der einen Seite erklärt es sich zu einem Rechtsstaat mit einem freiheitlichen demokratischen Verständnis, auf der anderen Seite lässt der Staat palästinensische Häftlinge in seinen Gefängnissen gezielt foltern.

Das palästinensische Volk ist den grausamen Machenschaften der israelischen Besatzungsmacht schutzlos ausgeliefert. Der brutale Tod von Arafat Jaradat ist hierfür ein weiteres tragisches und trauriges Beispiel.

Ich fordere die internationale Gemeinschaft und insbesondere die Bundesregierung dazu auf, den Foltermord an Jaradat explizit und in aller Deutlichkeit zu verurteilen sowie zu der Gründung einer unabhängigen, transparenten und nachhaltigen Untersuchung seines Todes beizutragen.

Alle Unterzeichner der Vierten Genfer Konvention stehen heute in ihrer Pflicht, diesem Vertragswerk gerecht zu werden und das palästinensische Volk zu schützen. Wer, wenn nicht die internationale Gemeinschaft als Initiatorin des Verhaltenskodexes, kann den jenseits des Rechts stehenden Staat Israel zur Rechenschaft ziehen.”

—————————–

Hintergrund:
Der 30jährige Arafat Jaradat wurde am 18. Februar 2013 von der israelischen Besatzungsarmee verhaftet. Der zweifache Vater, der mit seiner Ehefrau ein drittes Kind erwartet, berichtete bereits am 21. Februar seinem Anwalt Kamil Sabargh, dass er über Stunden und unter Folter verhört wurde. Am selben Tag verlängerte ein israelisches Militärgericht seine Haft um weitere 12 Tage. Am 23. Februar starb er an den Folgen der extremen Folter.”

 

(Quelle: Palästinensische Mission in der Bundesrepublik Deutschland.)

USA: Folter-Export

Donnerstag, Februar 7th, 2013

“Torture: America's Export

By Zachary Katznelson, Senior Staff Attorney, ACLU National Security Project at 12:07pm

Yesterday, the Open Society Justice Initiative (OSJI) issued a comprehensive report laying out the scope of the CIA’s extraordinary rendition, secret prison and torture program. The report, following up on the ACLU’s 2012 Torture Report, traces the evolution of the program, through which the CIA kidnapped terrorism suspects from around the world, flew them secretly to "black sites" – where they were held incommunicado without charge or trial – and tortured them. The OSJI report reveals that 54 nations, more than a quarter of the world, directly participated in the torture program, including through housing CIA prisoners on their soil, where they were often tortured; helping kidnap terrorism suspects and ship them overseas without any legal process; and allowing CIA planes to use their airspace and airports for those kidnapping missions. (Check out the report to learn which countries participated, and what types of assistance they offered). And it compiles the largest, most detailed list yet of the men and women thrown into these horrific black holes, naming 136 victims, many of whose whereabouts remain unknown today.

But even the impressive OSJI report is not the full story; the CIA continues to cloak the entire truth in shameful secrecy, including suppressing the statements of torture victims who remain in United States custody (with the acquiescence of a military commissions judge). We are urging the Senate Intelligence Committee to release a 6,000-page classified report it has adopted that details the CIA torture program, to ensure that Americans know all the facts about what was done in our names (click here to add your voice).

While President Obama outlawed the torture techniques used by the CIA, he has to date refused to hold anyone accountable for these egregious violations of domestic and international law, stating, "We need to look forward as opposed to looking backwards." That decision has sent the dangerous message has not only prevented accountability, but set a terrible example for the world, eroded America’s reputation and undercut our claims to uphold the rule of law.

The ACLU has been at the forefront of accountability efforts for these violations of domestic and international law, through our groundbreaking Freedom of Information Act requests, which have forced the government to release tens of thousands of pages of documents on the torture program. Our efforts have also included litigation on behalf of victims; advocacy to honor the courageous public servants who stood against the torture program; and pressure for a full criminal investigation of those who devised, orchestrated and implemented the torture program, followed by prosecutions where there is sufficient evidence. We will continue to press on all these fronts until the United States returns to the rule of law and provides adequate redress to the dozens and dozens of people so brutally abused.”

 

(Quelle: ACLU.)

Israel: amnesty antijüdisch?

Donnerstag, November 1st, 2012

“Israeli authorities must release Palestinian prisoner of conscience in West Bank

1 November 2012

Nariman Tamimi, Bassem's wife said that "the police were brutal" during his arrest

Nariman Tamimi, Bassem’s wife said that “the police were brutal” during his arrest

© Private

The Israeli military authorities must end their campaign of harassment, intimidation and arbitrary detention against a Palestinian activist in the occupied West Bank, Amnesty International said.

Bassem Tamimi, who has been detained since his arrest at non-violent protest against the encroachment of Israeli settlers onto Palestinian land last week, faces a further prison sentence after appearing before the Ofer Military Court on Wednesday.

“Once again, Bassem Tamimi is being held solely for peacefully exercising his rights to freedom of expression and assembly. We believe he is a prisoner of conscience and should be released immediately and unconditionally,” said Ann Harrison, Deputy Middle East and North Africa Programme Director at Amnesty International.

Tamimi was arrested on 24 October following a non-violent demonstration in a supermarket in Sha’ar Benjamin settlement north of Ramallah. More than 100 protesters had gathered to call for an end to the occupation and a boycott of all Israeli products.

He faces charges of assaulting a police officer, participation in an unlicensed demonstration, and activity against the public order.

If convicted of either of the latter two “offences”, he will also have to serve one or more suspended sentences from a previous trial: two months for participation in an unlicensed demonstration, and 17 months for “activity against the public order”.

After viewing footage of the protest, the military judge ruled that he should be released to house arrest for the duration of legal proceedings. The military prosecution is appealing this decision, and he remains at Ofer prison.

Tamimi was previously sentenced in May 2012 to 13 months in prison for his role in organizing regular non-violent protests against Israeli settlements in the West Bank. At the time, Amnesty International considered him to be a prisoner of conscience, and called for his immediate and unconditional release. 
The establishment and expansion of Israeli settlements in the occupied West Bank violates international humanitarian law.

Violent arrest

According to eyewitness and media reports, as the protesters left the supermarket on 24 October they were beaten by Israeli police and security forces who also fired stun grenades.

Bassem’s wife Nariman Tamimi attended the protest and told Amnesty International: “The police were brutal during the arrest. They threw Bassem on the ground and pressed him down while putting the cuffs on his hands. Anyone who tried to approach them was beaten up. The police seemed scared and nervous. They wanted to make arrests fast.”

Despite the police use of unnecessary and excessive force, the military prosecution has charged Bassem Tamimi with assault, based on the testimony of one police officer who alleges that the activist hit him on the hand.

Amnesty International spoke to witnesses and reviewed numerous videos from the protest, and found no evidence that he or the other protesters used violence. Tamimi is committed to non-violent resistance and has a long record of peaceful protest. Another Palestinian protester, now released on bail, faces similar charges.

Tamimi managed to contact his wife after his arrest.

“He still had his phone with him, he told me that he was in a cell somewhere, and he said that he felt like there was something broken in chest, he said ‘I cannot move or breathe and I am very tired’. Then they took the phone away so we could not talk more,” she told Amnesty International.

Encroachment of settlers

Bassem Tamimi is from the West Bank village of al-Nabi Saleh, 21km northwest of Ramallah.

In July 2008 Israeli settlers from nearby Halamish began to use the Qaws spring, which is on al-Nabi Saleh land and used to irrigate crops there and in the nearby village of Deir Nitham. In February 2009 settlers began to build structures on the spring site.

The Palestinians complained that settlers were building on private Palestinian land, and that the work damaged other property including trees. Israeli police routinely close Palestinian complaints against settlers due to “lack of evidence”.

Israel’s Civil Administration, the military body which controls most of the West Bank, prohibits Palestinians from visiting the Qaws spring site in groups and on Fridays, while settlers are allowed unfettered access.

Ongoing demonstrations

Weekly demonstrations began on 9 December 2009. Every Friday residents of al-Nabi Saleh and solidarity activists gather around noon in the village centre and march peacefully towards the spring. They have been met repeatedly with unnecessary and excessive force by the Israeli army including the use of stun grenades, pepper spray, batons and guns.
 
Demonstrations are dispersed as soon as they begin and are usually not allowed to reach the spring. The Israeli army raids the village regularly, usually during the night, and conducts house searches and arrests, including the arrest of children under the age of 15.

Israeli military laws in place in the West Bank impose sweeping and arbitrary restrictions on freedom of expression and peaceful assembly, requiring people to obtain advance permission from the Israeli military for any proposed gathering of 10 or more persons “for a political purpose of for a matter that could be interpreted as political”.

Nariman Tamimi told Amnesty International that in al-Nabi Saleh and all areas where there is popular resistance, police use extreme violence, noting that “there is nothing [to the protests] except that you chant and express your opinion.”

As one of the organizers of the al-Nabi Salneh protests and a coordinator of the village’s popular committee, Bassem Tamimi and his family have been the target of harsh treatment by the Israeli army.

Since the demonstrations began, his house has been raided and ransacked numerous times. His wife has been arrested twice and two of his children have been injured – Wa’ed was in hospital for five days after he was hit in the leg by a rubber bullet and Mohammed was injured by a tear-gas canister that was shot directly at him and hit him in the shoulder.

Bassem Tamimi has been arrested by the Israeli army 11 times to date, though he has only once been convicted by a military court – on charges that Amnesty International believes were unfounded.”

 

(Quelle: amnesty international.)